- Desert varnish is dark coating on rocks.
- It compositeby clay minerals.
- Clay arrive by wind.
- These clays are;
-Red iron oxide.(hematite)
- Color range of rock varnish;
- These rocks' high resistance to weathering process.
- Desert patina often identity of the underlying rock.
- But different rocks have varying abilities to accept and retain varnish.
- Shiny, dense & black varnishes forms on;
|Valley of Fire near Las Vegas, Nevada.|
|Desert varnish in Horseshoe Canyon, Canyonlands National Park, Uta|