- An ocean is a body of saline water.
- It composes a large part of a planet's hydrosphere.
- World Ocean –
1.Pacific Ocean = Separates Asia & Oceania from the Americas
2.Atlantic Ocean = Separates the Americas from Eurasia & Africa
3.Indian Ocean = Washes upon southern Asia & separates Africa & Australia
4.Southern Ocean = Pacific, Atlantic & Indian Oceans encircles Antarctica
5.Arctic Ocean = Covers Arctic & washes northern North America & Eurasia
- The word "sea" is used interchangeably with "ocean".
- Ocean is the largest confirmed surface.
- Approximately 72% is covered by saline water.
- Hydrosphere in the Earth, the ocean contains 97% of the Earth's water.
- Only 5% of the ocean as a whole in Earth has been explored.
- The world ocean is part of the carbon cycle.
- An average depth of 3,682 metres (12,080 ft).
- It is the habitat of 230,000 known species.
- Oceans may also exist on exoplanets and exomoons.
- The area of the World Ocean is 361 million square kilometres.
- The deep ocean cover about 66% of the Earth's surface.
- The deepest point in the ocean is the Mariana Trench (10,971 m ), located in the Pacific Ocean near the Northern Mariana Islands.
- The ocean has a significant effect on the biosphere.
- Oceanic evaporation.
- Ocean temperatures determine.
- climate & wind patterns that affect life on land.
Lifeforms native to the ocean include:
- Marine worms