- A desert pavement is a desert surface that is covered with closely packed, angular or rounded rock fragments of pebble and cobble size.
- It form by the gradual removal of the sand.
- Geologist, discovery some desert pavements preserve a long history of dust deposition beneath them. The dust is a record of ancient climate, on the deep sea floor and in the world's ice caps.
- Desert pavement surfaces are coated with desert varnish (dark brown color).
- Theroy of desert pavement
1. Lag deposit-: The wind blew away all the fine-grained material. (Wind-blown erosion is called deflation.)
2. Moving water-:The finest material is splashed loose by raindrops, a thin layer of rainwater, or sheetflow, sweeps it away efficiently.
3.The soil move stones to the top-:Two other soil processes involve the formation of ice crystals in the soil (frost heave) & salt crystals (salt heave) in places with the right temperature or chemistry.
-Joshua Tree National Park, California.
-Mojave Desert of California.
|Joshua Tree National Park, California.|