Coastal and Oceanic Landform (26.Inlet)

                                                                                                                                         Back to Coastal and Oceanic Landform
Bay at the Gulf of Salerno
Bay at the Gulf of Salerno

  • An inlet is a narrow body of water between islands or leading inland from a larger body of water.
  • Leading to an enclosed body of water, such as


  • In sea coasts, an inlet usually to the actual connection between a bay & ocean.

  • It is often called an "entrance" or a recession in the shore of a sea, lake, or river.

  • Inlet created by glaciation is a fjord.

  • It is not always in mountainous,coastlines & also in montane lakes.

  • Complexes of large inlets or fjords may be called sounds.;

 e.g., Puget Sound
          Howe Sound

  • Some fjord-type inlets are called canals;

e.g., Portland Canal
         Lynn Canal
         Hood Canal

  • Some are channels;

 e.g., Dean Channel
          Douglas Channel
          Amsterdam Channel

No comments:

Post a Comment