- A mid-ocean ridge called as an underwater mountain system.
- It consists of various mountain ranges.
- The uplifted seafloor results from convection currents.
- which rise in the mantle as magma at a linear weakness in the oceanic crust.
- Emerge as lava.
- Creating new crust upon cooling.
- A mid-ocean ridge boundary between two tectonic plates.
- consequently is termed a divergent plate boundary.
- It connected & form a single global mid-oceanic ridge system.
- That is part of every ocean.
- There are the longest mountain range in the world.
- The continuous mountain range is 65,000 km long.
- The total length of the oceanic ridge system is 80,000 km.
- Mid-ocean ridges are active, with new magma.
- The crystallized magma forms new crust of basalt & gabbro.
- Oceanic crust in the ocean basins is less than 200 million years old.
- Slow spreading ridge Mid-Atlantic Ridge have large, wide rift valleys. 10–20 km.
- fast spreading ridges like the East Pacific Rise are narrow, sharp.
|Mid-ocean ridge,magma rising from a chamber below, forming new ocean plate which spreads away from ridge|
- There are two processes;
- Ridge-push= growing bulk of the ridge.
towards a subduction zone.
- Slab-pull = this is simply the weight of the tectonic plate.
dragging the rest of the plate along behind it.