- A shoal called as;
- It is linear landform within into a body of water.
- Composed of sand,silt, pebbles.
- A spit / sandspit is a type of shoal.
- Shoals are characteristically long and narrow.
- Shoals can appear in the sea , lake / river.
- A bar is a shoal.
- Similar to a reef.
- A shallow formation of sand.
- surface waves move towards shallow water.
- Their wave height increases.
- The distance between waves decreases.
- The waves are said to shoal.
- Sand carried by the offshore moving bottom current is deposited.
Harbour and river bars
- A harbour / river bar is formed at a harbour entrance/ river mouth.
- Deposition of sediment.
- A bar can form a dangerous obstacle to shipping.