Back to Fluvial Landform
- Carolina bays are elliptical depressions concentrated along the Atlantic seaboard.
- Have within coastal ;
Delaware Maryland (Maryland Basins)
New Jersey North Carolina
South Carolina Virginia
Georgia Northcentral Florida
- Other landform depressions, not widely as Carolina bays.
- They are found within northern Gulf of Mexico.
- They are known as Grady pondsor Citronelle ponds.
- Carolina bays vary in size from one to several thousand acres.
- About 500,000 classic area of the Atlantic Coastal Plain, often in groups.
- The bays have different vegetative structures.
- Based on ;
- Some bays are open water with large scattered pond cypress.
- Others are composed of thick, shrubby areas,with vegetation.
- The southeastern end has a higher rim of white sand.
Common feature of the Gulf of Mexico
- Circular to oval
- Depressions exhibiting a wide range of area
- Depth are very coastal plain within Texas & southwest Louisiana
- These depressions size from 0.4 -3.6 km in diameter
- The bays are rich in biodiversity.
- Including rare ,endangered species.
- Species thrive in the bays ,such as;
- Mammals such as;
- Other residents;
-green tree frogs
- The bays contain trees, such as;
-black gum -bald cypress
-pond cypress -sweet bay
-loblolly bay -red bay
-magnolia -pond pine
- Shrubs such as;
- Plants are;